The VPA are proud to present their study tour of Canada. On this incredible 14-day tour, participants visit high-performing Canadian schools, meet with leading educational speakers, and unlock innovative tools to improve student outcomes.
This unique professional development experience takes place in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver with like-minded leaders in the education sector.
- To understand strategies and opportunities to develop strong leadership capacity and succession planning in schools.
- To identify the successful strategies adopted to improve the precision of teaching practice and collective capacity to meet every student’s learning needs.
- To identify successful strategies and processes across schools, and networks of schools, that contribute to improved outcomes in literacy and numeracy.
- To explore the concept of 'what makes schools high performing and how do these schools sustain improvement in their data and culture'?
- To develop an understanding of how school leaders foster collaboration, engagement and empowerment of all partners in the education system to enable all students to achieve their potential.
Check out Debbie Humphries presentation of the 2019 tour here
The experience allows our principals, teachers, and students to deepen their understanding of Canadian culture, as well as forge strong partnerships with our international neighbours so that together we can share best practice for learning, teaching and school leadership.
The program started in Toronto, where the school groups experienced the many wonderful sights in the city while expanding their knowledge on culture, during a seven-day experience. The program then moved to Calgary for the next 4 days where participants spent the time exploring the city and also attended a School Collaboration. The next and final stop on the program was Vancouver. The program stayed here for 3 days and experienced a range of educational outings. Learning experiences included: Ontario Ministry of Education, Ontario College of Teachers, Ontario Principals Council, dinner with Mary-Jean Gallagher, Niagara Catholic District School Board, Alberta Teachers Association Council for School Leadership, Calgary Board of Education and Delta School District Vancouver British Columbia Province.
Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we look forward to recommencing as soon as possible.